Resourceful Service For A Variety Of Legal Issues

When An Auto Accident Causes Serious Injuries

Car accidents can result in devastating injuries. From broken bones to burns, and from disfiguring lacerations to paralysis, injuries from car accidents cover a broad spectrum.

You only have two years after a car accident to sue for your injuries. This makes it critical to retain an attorney in Connecticut as soon as possible to investigate your accident and gather evidence. Our firm represents people in many areas of Connecticut from offices in Trumbull and New Britain.

If you were injured in a crash, you should consult the experienced car accident lawyers at Owens, Schine, & Nicola, P.C.. Our attorneys and other legal team members collaborate to devise the best strategies for maximizing compensation for the injured.

We Are Ready To Investigate

In addition to evaluating and documenting the scope of your injuries, we will look into:

  • The underlying cause(s) of the car accident: Did the other driver fail to drive safely and take reasonable precautions? Did they text while driving, drive while drunk, speed, weave in traffic, drive aggressively or fail to obey traffic signals or signs?
  • Special factors such as negligence by multiple drivers: Connecticut follows a modified form of comparative negligence. Defendants in an automobile lawsuit based on negligence can be held severally liable for damages. This means that the jury will assign percentages of fault, and each defendant is liable for his or her share. A car accident victim’s recovery of compensation can be reduced when there has been shared fault for the accident. For example, if a jury awards damages of $200,000 but the jury finds the plaintiff 25% at-fault for speeding, while the other driver was 75% at-fault for running a red light, the plaintiff may only recover $150,000 from the other driver.
  • Compensatory damages you may be eligible for: Damages are designed to put an accident victim in the position in which he or she would have been had there been no accident. Economic losses that may constitute part of a damages award include property damage, medical expenses, lost income, replacement services, and out-of-pocket costs. Noneconomic losses that you may be able to recover include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.
  • Potential for punitive damages: There are rare circumstances that might give rise to punitive damages in a car accident case, such as a situation where the defendant was legally drunk driving recklessly. Punitive damages are intended to punish a wrongdoer and deter future misconduct. These would be awarded in addition to compensatory damages.

Get Your Case Started; Our Experienced Lawyers Are Standing By

Whether you were T-boned by a driver who ran a red light or rear-ended by a tailgating driver, it can be terrifying and stressful to be involved in a car accident. You can hold an at-fault driver accountable for your injuries and costs.

Call Owens, Schine, & Nicola, P.C., at 203-375-0600 or contact us via our online form for a free consultation.