Trumbull Office

Car Accidents

Personal Injury Attorneys Representing Victims Throughout Connecticut

Car accidents can result in devastating injuries. From broken bones to burns, and from disfiguring lacerations to paralysis, injuries from car accidents cover a broad spectrum. Most people do not have enough saved in case of a serious injury, so they must bring a personal injury lawsuit to be able to pay for the medical care that they need and to compensate for the income lost as a result of recuperating from car accident injuries. If you were injured in a crash, you should consult the experienced Connecticut car accident lawyers at Owens, Schine & Nicola. We can help you investigate the crash and hold accountable any party that may have been responsible. Our firm represents people in many areas of the state from offices in Trumbull, Fairfield, Norwalk, and Milford.

Causes of Car Accidents

If you are injured in a car accident, you may wish to sue the other driver for damages. Usually, victims trying to recover damages for their car accident injuries allege another driver's negligence. This means showing that the other driver did not drive safely, taking reasonable precautions, and this resulted in the accident. A driver may be negligent in many ways, including texting while driving, drunk driving, speeding, weaving, aggressive driving, and failing to obey traffic signals or signs.

You only have two years after a car accident to sue for your injuries. This makes it critical to retain a car accident attorney in Connecticut as soon as possible to investigate your accident and gather evidence.

Negligence by Multiple Drivers

Connecticut follows a modified form of comparative negligence. Your damages as a car accident victim can be reduced by your percentage of fault, if any, but you will not be barred from recovering damages unless you were more than 50% at fault for the accident. For example, if the total damages are $200,000, and a victim was 25% at fault for speeding, while the other driver was 75% at fault for running a red light, the victim may be able to recover $150,000 from the other driver.

Sometimes there are multiple drivers whose negligence causes an accident. In Connecticut, defendants in a car accident lawsuit based on negligence can be held severally liable for damages. This means that the jury will assign percentages of fault, and each defendant is liable for his or her share. However, if a plaintiff cannot collect from a particular defendant (such as when a defendant is not insured), uncollectable damages can be reapportioned among the other defendants in proportion to percentages of fault.

Damages in Car Accident Cases

If your Connecticut car accident attorney can show liability, you should be able to recover damages. There is no damages cap in car accident cases. Damages in car accident cases are usually compensatory, meaning that they are designed to put an accident victim in the position in which he or she would have been had there been no accident. Economic losses that may constitute part of a damages award include property damage, medical expenses, lost income, replacement services, and out-of-pocket costs. Noneconomic losses that you may be able to recover include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.

There are rare circumstances that might give rise to punitive damages in a car accident case, such as a drunk driving case. Punitive damages are damages awarded to punish a wrongdoer and deter future misconduct. These would be awarded in addition to compensatory damages in circumstances in which they are appropriate.

Discuss Your Case With an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Connecticut

Whether you were T-boned by a driver who ran a red light or rear-ended by a tailgating driver, it can be terrifying and stressful to be involved in a car accident. You can hold an at-fault driver accountable for your injuries and costs. We represent accident victims in Trumbull, Fairfield, Norwalk, Milford, and many other Connecticut communities. Call Owens, Schine & Nicola at (203) 375-0600 or contact us via our online form for a free consultation. We also represent victims of medical malpractice in suing negligent health care providers.